1) Webinar: 4pm Wed March 9 Great Public Transit – Urban and Rural with BTA member Eric Doherty 2) Amnesty International Letter Writing Campaign Supporting Better Transit and BC’s target of reducing traffic 25% by 2030. 3) Sign the Let’s Ride petition for a national inter-community bus network 4) Good Rapid Bus news
Better Transit Alliance News: 1) Webinar: Write a letter to the editor for transit funding – 3pm Tues Nov 30
2) Help get more endorsers for the BC Climate Emergency Open Letter
3) Recent video, articles and letter to the editor
1)Webinar: Write a letter to the editor for transit funding – 3pm Tues Nov 30.
In this 30-minute webinar with Gideon Forman of the David Suzuki Foundation we will learn how to write a letter to editor about transit funding. The webinar, hosted by our friends at the TTC Riders Union, will involve a short training, followed by time for you to write and send a letter during the event!
1) #VoteTransit2021 – Write to candidates today! 2) Register now for Having the Right Conversation About Transit – Tues Sept 28 [date changed]
1) #VoteTransit2021 – Write to candidates today! This federal election, with our friends in the national Keep Transit Moving Coalition, we’re asking candidates to end the financial crisis faced by our transit systems.
1) BTA endorses Stefanie Hardman in Victoria by-election
The Better Transit Alliance (BTA) has chosen to support Stefanie Hardman’s campaign for the Victoria City Council by-election. Stephanie has earned BTA’s endorsement by providing detailed and passionate proposals for improving public transit. She states that the climate emergency requires prioritizing public transit funding over highway expansion, and that re-allocating road space to transit lanes to make buses faster and more reliable.
In this newsletter:
• Visit or Volunteer with the Better Transit Alliance at Car Free Day
• Help get the Highway 1 Bus Lanes Completed – Write to your MLA
• Central Saanich Community Association forms Transit Committee
• Write a letter to the editor today!
Visit or Volunteer with the Better Transit Alliance at Car Free Day
On Sunday June 17th (Father’s Day) the Better Transit Alliance will be at Car Free Day on Douglas Street in Downtown Victoria. We would love to have you drop by and chat any time between 11am and 6pm. And we would love it even more if you could volunteer to help out for a few hours. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact us at bettertransityyj [at] gmail.com. It is fun, and no experience necessary! (The Better Transit Alliance is an all-volunteer organization, without volunteer energy we would not exist). Continue reading “[BTA News] Car Free Day Sun June 17 (Volunteers needed!) – Help get the Hwy 1 bus lanes completed”
Prime Minister Trudeau, former Premier Clark and most of Canada’s premiers signed the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change in 2016. This Framework contains a policy shift that could fund much better transit in our region, and reduce climate pollution. But this likely won’t happen without local support!
The Framework commits the federal and provincial governments to “shift from higher to lower-emitting types of transportation, including through investing in infrastructure.” This means investing more in better transit and less on urban highways that just become congested again.